Current Job Openings
Minnetonka Campus Custodian (Full-Time, Non-Exempt)
Job Title: Custodian
Reports To: Minnetonka Campus Administrator
Job Summary: This position is an integral part of hospitality at Bethlehem and must be able to interact and respond to requests from staff members, parishioners, neighbors, members of the community, and facility users in a courteous and professional manner.
This position provides janitorial, custodial, building security, light maintenance, and cleaning services to ensure the cleanliness, sanitation, and safety of the church’s facilities. This position is responsible for the physical set-up and tear-down of furniture and equipment in order to facilitate readiness for both internal and external programs and events. This position is also responsible for some exterior grounds maintenance such as some light gardening, shoveling, snow and ice removal, as well as a daily inspection of the grounds.
Essential duties and responsibilities: Essential roles, responsibilities, and tasks include the following; however, this list is not all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned.
Regular cleaning and sanitizing of the building and grounds:
Tasks: mopping, vacuuming, dishwashing, cleaning restrooms, dusting and trash removal
Tasks: Selects and uses cleaning materials and equipment appropriate to each specific task and conditions and ensures safe and effective application in accordance with label and product’s data sheets instruction and warnings
Uses appropriate clothing and equipment to meet health and safety standards
Task: periodic stripping, waxing and buffing of floors. Must be able to operate floor cleaning equipment
Task: vacuuming, shampooing, and cleaning of carpeting. Must be able to operate carpet extractor
Maintain and order cleaning supplies inventory
Maintain chemical Safety Data Sheet (SDS) binder for chemicals on-site
Maintain oil candles in the sanctuary
COVID sanitizing of the occupied spaces
COVID related logs completed
Role: Event Preparation – Setup/Teardown
1. Prepare spaces for scheduled events, programs, and meetings
Review setup instructions for meetings, programs, and events and set up/tear down tables, chairs
Provide for equipment needs (projector, sound system, etc.)
Unlock exterior doors 1 hour prior to service/event
Ensure sidewalks are clear and ready to receive guests. This includes snow removal & ice treatments
Check all bathrooms for cleanliness & supplies
Check and regulate heat and A/C in all areas that will be used
Open and prepare the Preschool area for Sunday morning use, including access to the handicapped bathroom
Assist Sunday morning coffee servers, wash dishes and help with coffee cleanup
Turn on message monitor in the hallway
1. Maintain exterior grounds in neat and safe conditions
Task: Snow/ice removal from sidewalks and steps. Must be able to operate snow removal equipment
Task: Occasional garden work, watering plants, cutting plants back, and assisting volunteers with a variety of outdoor tasks
Task: Maintain outdoor sign messages
Task: Maintain outdoor liturgical flags
Leaf cleaning in the fall
Mowing in the summer
2. Serve on the Minneapolis campus as needed in the same capacity.
Role: Team member
1. Work with others in a team environment, accepting direction from supervisor or team member. Be in regular communication with supervisor, staff members and team regarding facility needs. Respond to requests from staff members, parishioners, neighbors, community and facility users in a courteous and professional manner, possess a “can do” attitude
a. Task: Check custodian email account and staff/church calendar for upcoming events and meetings. Reply to all forms of communication in a timely fashion
b. Task: Report any needed repairs, scheduling conflicts, concerns or suggestions
to Campus Administrator
Task: May be called in occasionally in the event of a staffing emergency
1. Responsible for the overall security of staff and building
a. Task: Monitor security of building while performing janitorial duties
b. Task: unlocking and locking up in accordance with established policies and securing building when leaving by checking and securing systems, doors, all rooms in building, and windows
1- This includes building lighting at the end of the day.
2- Periodic assessment of security issues or potential issues on-site.
c. Task: an understanding and working knowledge of building security system
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Training, and Experience: High school graduate with at least one year of relevant custodial experience or completion of training in building cleaning techniques from a technical or recognized institution.
Knowledge, Abilities and skills:
- Knowledge of cleaning methods, materials, and equipment required
- Boilers license a plus, but not required
- Ability to operate mechanical cleaning equipment required
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel), Google e-mail and calendar.
- Computer/IT/AV aptitude helpful, but not required
- Ability to provide customer service in a friendly, professional manner
- Must be able to report to work on a regular and timely basis
- Must possess problem-solving skills, be self-motivated, and able to work alone
- Must possess valid MN Driver’s license and provide proof of insurance
- Have a special engineers license or able to secure in first 6 months preferred, but not required
- Must be accepting of the Christian faith
Physical Demands: The position will require frequent lifting requirements of up to 50 pounds with or without assistance. Exposures may include cleaning chemicals, seasonal temperature extremes, and, occasionally, bodily fluids, infectious diseases, and hazardous waste or material. Must frequently perform the following motions: walking, bending, squatting, turning/twisting, kneeling, climbing, reaching out, reaching up, grasping, wrist turning, and finger manipulation
Aesthetic Awareness: Demonstrates a natural awareness about the effective organization of space for different purposes; naturally oriented toward organization and cleanliness of space; appreciates the value of sacred space and keeps this larger picture in mind when tending to smaller details
Integrity and Initiative: Practices direct, honest, transparent communication; responds to situations with consistency and reliability; enjoys working hard for the sake of the greater good; is self-motivated, action-oriented and able to work independently with minimal supervision
Technical Expertise: Acquires and demonstrates the technical skills required to proficiently execute the essential functions of the job; to continually develop technical skills and knowledge; communicates the necessary information for a mutually desired outcome
- 18+ years of age
- High school graduate
- Minimum of six (6) months custodial experience preferred
- Basic building maintenance skills
- Able to physically lift 50 pounds
- Able to learn and use church software including Google Mail, Google Calendar, cell phone, and walkie talkies
- Desire for and commitment to continuous improvement
- Strong verbal communication skills
This is a full-time, hourly position, with full benefits at $15.00 per hour.
Listed below is the starting work schedule for this position. As things change with the COVID virus and restrictions are lifted, hours will change to include some evenings. As things change, the Full-Time Custodian will work with Minnetonka Campus Administrator to establish workable hours to best accommodate the needs of Bethlehem Lutheran Church Twin Cities.
Review: After the three-month review, there will be an annual performance review performed by the Supervisor.